Skip to Content
Topic Snapshot - Loan Processing
- The Language of Lending (2009) -- Available formats: ppt rtf
Teleconference held February 24, 2009 - Cheryl Fatnassi of the Vermont AFP and Patti Lind of the Iowa AFP provide an overview of terms encountered through the life of a loan, from application, to underwriting, to servicing and collections.
- RSA Technical Assistance Circular for AFPs - September 7, 2006 (2006) -- Available formats: rtf
Rehabilitation Services Administration Technical Assistance Circular (TAC) dated September 7, 2006 that offers a framework for AFPs to help them determine if a particular device is assistive technology for the purposes of providing a financial loan.
- Defining AT for Loan Programs - Teleconference - October 10, 2006 (2006) -- Available formats: rtf mp3
This call provides an overview of the Rehabilitation Services Administration Technical Assistance Circular (TAC) dated September 7, 2006 that offers a framework for AFPs to help them determine if a particular device is assistive technology for the purposes of providing a financial loan. Jeremy Buzzell of RSA is the presenter.
- Lessons Learned Providing Vehicle Loans (2007) -- Available formats: rtf
This report provides an overview of how AFPs manage vehicle loans. Topics include: The policy and decision-making process for vehicle loans, underwriting, servicing, and marketing.
Loan Processing - The Application
- Customer Service is Our Goal (2009) -- Available formats: ppt rtf mp3
The first in a series designed to enable new directors to quickly acclimate their positions. This session's focus is on leveraging outside sources of support for borrowers, and the role of AFPs in helping them develop financial stability. Several archetypes of borrowers, and possible solutions to their needs were discussed.
- Loan Processing - The Application (2004) -- Available formats: pdf txt
This is a step by step look at how the loan application process begins the relationship with the borrower.
- Assistive Technology Funding Sources (2009) -- Available formats: rtf
This list of outside funding sources for assistive technology was compiled by MDTAP, and referenced during the "Customer Service is our Goal" session of the New Directors Series on June 8, 2009.
Loan Processing - Credit Reports
The Application Review Process
Loan Processing - Loan Decision Making
- Loan Committees and the Approval Decision - October 14, 2009 (2009) -- Available formats: rtf mp3
Christy Crowther of Virginia’s New Well Fund discussed the process of sending applications for review to the loan committee and how the loan review committee makes its decisions. She shared an application summary sheet as well as a guide to the underwriting standards used by the committee and explained how her program ensures that loan review committee members are able to render informed decisions about loan applications.
- Loan Committee - Criteria Page (2009) -- Available formats: rtf
This document describes the consumer underwriting guidelines used by the Virginia AFP.
- Acceptable Example for Loan Decision (2009) -- Available formats: pdf
This is a summary of a loan application that was approved by the Virginia loan program.
- Borderline Example for Loan Decision (2009) -- Available formats: pdf
This is a summary of a loan application that was difficult to decide whether to approval or not.
- Unacceptable Example for Loan Decision (2009) -- Available formats: pdf
This is a summary of a loan application that was not approved by the Virginia Loan program.
- Loan Processing - Loan Decision Making (2004) -- Available formats: pdf txt
This presentation looks at the factors to consider when determining whether to approve a loan application.
Loan Closing and Servicing
- Loan Closing and Servicing - January 12, 2010 (2010) -- Available formats: rtf mp3
Cheryl Fatnassi of the Vermont AFP explains the processes that take place as a loan is closed, and serviced. She will explain key documents and steps including booking a loan, securing collateral and disbursing funds. Dealing with missed payments will also be addressed from the perspective of both a guarantor and direct lender.
- Loan Closing and Servicing Powerpoint - January 12, 2010 (2010) -- Available formats: ppt
This power point includes information on loan closing options, loan servicing such as quality control and perfecting interest in collateral as well as a discussion of what to do when there are late payments and collateral losses. It also includes loan modifications and loan workouts.
Collecting on Bad Debt
- Collecting on Bad Debt: Lessons from AFP and Telework Programs (2009) -- Available formats: html
A resource document with links to useful information.
- Collections: The Bottom Line - December 8, 2009 (2009) -- Available formats: rtf mp3
This teleconference was an opportunity to hear from a panel of AFP programs regarding collecting on defaulted loans. A representative of the collections industry, Chad Echols of Hamilton, Martens & Ballou of Rock Hill, South Carolina, provided an overview of the general process of collecting on past due account and the different approaches a lender or guarantor can take to pursuing collections, as well as some of the legal considerations to keep in mind. Milissa Gofourth of the Oklahoma AFP, and Kathy Gilman from Washington then explained the different processes they use to pursue debt, and advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
- Demystifying Titles - November 20, 2009 (2009) -- Available formats: rtf mp3
Todd Wysocki, president of Michigan Auto Title Services, joined us for this teleconference to discuss issues around titles to vehicles loan programs finance. Mr. Wysocki gave an overview of the process to secure a clean title to a vehicle. He also provided definitions to key terms around titles, and, during a lively question and answer, helped to several specific issues faced by programs.
Telework Loan Processing
- Supporting Borrowers for Successful Businesses - July 28, 2010 - PowerPoint (2010) -- Available formats: ppt
This presentation looks at what happens after the loan has been provided - to ensure it is paid back. The presentation covers loan documents, the importance of visits to the new business and the encouraging the use of mentors and peer supports. It also stresses the importance of the loan program reviewing financial information and offering ways to correct the course of the business if necessary.
- Washington Telework Checklist (2010) -- Available formats: rtf
This list provides loan processors with the key items to be considered for funding telework loans.
Loan Tracking Software
page was last updated:
- Overview of Maryland's Loan Program Database (2009) -- Available formats: pdf
This overview of Maryland's database used by the loan programs was compiled by MDTAP, and referenced during the "Customer Service is our Goal" session of the New Directors Series on June 8, 2009.